Tuesday, February 10, 2009

From the Doctor’s Diary-45- What an exam!

I had hard time while I was doing my MD in General Medicine in Gulbarga (a town in Karnataka state, India). We were eleven of us to appear for the exams. Even before the exams took place, everyone concerned said that only four or five people would get through. The subject matter in Medicine is too vast for anyone to study everything and go for the exams. The theory and practical exams are really tough. The internal examiner who is supposed to be a comfort to any student was himself a terror for us. We were all afraid of him. Being an oursider (from another state) I had more disadvantages. There didn’t seem much hope for me to get through.

Those were the days (1992) when I had begun experiencing the wonderful presence of Jesus in my life. I had given my life over to him and given my burdens and griefs into his hands.
So even though circumstances were in the negative. I had one hope and that was my trust in Jesus. I believed he would get me through. My prayers to him were fervent. The theory exams did not carry much weightage; the practical was the one that mattered.

I still remember it was Sunday that the practical exams took place. Those days I had made it a habit to fast on Sundays and so I went for the exams fasting. I had a throbbing headache by the time I reached the exam hall. One internal and two external examiners. Two short cases and one big case(patients with sicknesses) to be examined and diagnosed in the given time. And it was really tough. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and a lot of grilling. One of my colleagues was sent away for just talking casually to someone else during the exam time. That for him meant another wait for six months to reappear. I was glad that it was finally over by 5 p.m. Six of us appeared on the first day and five on the next. The speculations were that only 3-4 out of eleven will pass. I couldn’t sleep for the next two days thinking of the result.
Despite speculations, despite unfavourable circumstances; despite evaluations, despite unfavourable people, my hope lay in Jesus because I knew only He could save me. And that is exactly what his name means: Jesus - He saves

At around 2 a.m. a couple of nights later, there was frantic knocking on my door. Three guys heaving and panting and three wonderful words - “You have passed”. I didn’t know what to do. Laugh or cry. But one thing I did and that was to thanks Jesus for his saving grace. The predictions were true. Only four of us passed. But I was one of them. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord.

The Bible says, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)

And that is exactly what I did. Not only did I pass, but Jesus helped me to get second rank in the university. Praise the Lord. Truly, Jesus cares for us like no one else can.

No comments:

Post a Comment